At Entangled Publishing, we believe authors who write great books should receive a majority of the profits. We also believe authors interested in the lucrative indie publishing model shouldn’t have to sacrifice quality editing, commercial covers, or the power of a New York-style marketing machine.
That’s where we come in. Founded by industry-savvy authors, Entangled Publishing utilizes a bold new business model to bridge the gap between traditional and indie publishing, giving our authors the best of both worlds. We implement the agency model across all departments at Entangled, which means everyone from the copy editor to the marketing director has a financial stake in your book.
In other words, we don’t make money unless you make money.
Entangled Select is a collection of novels selected and edited by publisher Liz Pelletier, editorial director Stacy Cantor-Abrams, and senior editor Heather Howland. The imprint follows a more traditional editorial calendar with publication twelve to eighteen months after acquisition, which allows for wider print distribution. Each collection will be branded and marketed specific to the editor selecting the acquisitions.
Royalty rates for Entangled Select are 20% of cover for digital, and 9% of cover for print.
Entangled Teen is a high-concept, engaging line of books geared to the Young Adult audience. Thanks to a more traditional editorial calendar of twelve to eighteen months between acquisition and publication, Entangled Teen will be distributed by Publisher’s Group West, one of the largest print distributors in the world. Emphasis is placed on shelving Entangled Teen titles in brick and mortar stores in an effort to maximize visibility and availability to the target audience.
Royalty rates for Entangled Teen are 20% of cover for digital, and 9% of cover for print.
Our novella (Flirts and Ever Afters) and category romance imprints (Indulgence, Brazen, Bliss, Covet, Entangled Suspense, and Scandalous) are released in digital format on a wide variety of platforms. With high royalty rates and price points that attract buyers, these lines have been very successful for Entangled and its authors. Many of our digital titles have hit Amazon and Barnes & Noble’s bestseller lists, and several have made it onto the USA Today and NY Times bestseller lists. Royalty rates for these digital-only imprints are as much as 40% of digital cover price.
More information on the Indulgence, Brazen, Bliss, Covet, Entangled Suspense, Flirt, and Ever After imprints can be found on their respective submission pages. The Scandalous submission page will be unveiled soon!
Every author we contract receives:
- Simultaneous print and electronic releases for our Entangled Select and Entangled Teen imprints. For our Entangled Books imprint, digital first release followed by full print distribution after three months. The Indulgence, Entangled Suspense, Flirt, and Ever After imprints are currently digital only.
- Two powerhouse distributors dedicated to getting your books shelved around the world. We currently have printers in the US, Great Britain, and Australia, with expansion into Canada and Europe in coming months.
- Royalty rates well above what authors can expect from most NY houses or epublishers. Entangled Books authors receive 9% of print cover price and as much as 40% of digital cover price, while Entangled Select and Entangled Teen authors receive 9% of print cover price and 20% of digital cover price.
- A dedicated promo budget and publicist assigned to every book, who will create a personalized marketing plan as well as manage the details of putting all of the pieces together. We don’t just point you toward promotion opportunities, we create them.
- An aggressive, experienced subrights department consisting of a Foreign Rights Director based in NY, and a Performance Rights Manager based in Hollywood, who work tirelessly to license subsidiary rights for our entire catalog!
- Advertising that targets readers via organized blog tours, magazine ads, review sites, and book clubs. All organized and paid for by us, of course.
- High-quality, NY-style covers. Did a fabulous author offer to blurb your book? You better believe it’s going on the cover. We’ll even help you get that great cover quote!
- Top-notch editing performed by award-winning content and line editors.
In return, we expect:
- Great stories with fresh voices
- A professional web presence
- Participation in the blog tours, interviews, and contests we organize
So, how can we pull all of this off?
- We retain all rights—including foreign and performance rights—and sell them aggressively.
- After the distributor takes their cut, print production costs have been paid, and the authors receive their royalty checks (up to 40% of digital cover price and 9% of print cover price for Entangled Books, 20% of digital cover price and 9% of print cover price for Entangled Select and Entangled Teen), the remaining 20 – 30% of royalties are split between the individuals working for Entangled, all of whom earn a percentage of sales rather than a salary. This financial stake in every book motivates us to put out the best product possible.
- Our budget for each book includes a promotion and production allowance. Additionally, without the stifling overhead of a traditional publisher, we’re flexible enough to price our books competitively, positioning titles for optimal sales.
- We do not pay advances. We offset the lack of advance with a high royalty rate.
Entangled Publishing continues to break the traditional publishing mold by offering every author strong editorial support, a publicist, a personalized marketing plan, and world-class distribution for all of their titles. With its unique revenue-sharing business model, Entangled has managed to assemble an amazing staff of more than forty talented individuals and industry leaders in a record time frame, contracting over one hundred seventy-five titles within nine months of launch. If you’re interested in querying Entangled Publishing, please visit our Submissions page.