Brazen Submission Guidelines
Don’t forget to check out our current special calls for submission
at the bottom of the page!
Brazen, our bestselling sexy contemporary romance line, is the naughty little sister of our popular Indulgence imprint. Priced at $2.99 and sold digitally, these steamy category-style romances blend the brightest new voices in the genre with familiar tropes, allowing readers to explore the more seductive side of modern relationships, where romance often starts in the bedroom. Whether they’re witty and playful, or lush and intense, Brazen books are always fast-paced, dialogue-heavy, and above all, sexy. Unleash your inner vixen. We know you want to.
Specifically, we want:
- Proven category tropes such as mistaken identity, revenge, one-night-stand, older brother’s best friend, enemies-to-lovers, best friends-to-lovers, bait and switch, matchmaker, sexy protectors, opposites attract, boardroom romance, etc. Bonus points if you combine a few of them into one story!
- Sexy, capable alpha heroes paired with spunky and/or sweet heroines who come into their own by book’s end. Heroes must be in a high-powered or heroic profession. Think military (current and former), bad-boy billionaires, athletes, corporate tycoons, private security teams, firefighters, police, and small town-boys-done-good. Our readers love variety.
- Stories that focus on the hero and heroine’s physical relationship. This is the most important difference between the Indulgence and Brazen imprints. On the Indulgence line, the emotional connection between the characters drives the romance. Here at Brazen, the opposite is the case—the explosive physical connection between the hero and heroine is the story and propels the characters toward love. Remove the sex and there’d be no romance.
- High heat level. We do not publish erotica or straight erotic romance (see trope requirements above), but explicit sex scenes and erotic elements/kinks organic to the characters’ sexual tastes are musts. Brazen books are steamy.
- A note about suspense. We love sexy cops and private security heroes, but if your romance to suspense ratio is greater than 85/15, it’s likely better suited for Entangled Suspense. They love steamy books just as much as we do!
- Authors with voices we love: Maya Banks, Katee Robert, Laura Kaye, Cari Quinn, Christine Bell, Gina L. Maxwell, Rhonda Nelson, Sarah Mayberry, Jill Shalvis, and Jo Leigh.
The fine print:
- Manuscripts should be roughly 45-60K words in length. Unless you are an established category romance author querying on proposal, manuscripts must be complete prior to submission.
- Revised backlist titles will be considered on a case by case basis.
- We accept both agented and unagented submissions at this time.
To submit a manuscript for consideration, please use the following link:
Follow us on Twitter
Current calls for submission:
Brazen is seeking stories centered around the following seasons and/or tropes:
- Christmas 2013 – Manuscripts should be roughly 45-60K words in length. Unless you are an established category romance author querying on proposal, manuscripts must be complete prior to submission. Query by May 1st. Decisions will be made no later than June 1st, and full manuscripts are due by June 15th!
- New Year’s Eve 2013 – Manuscripts should be roughly 45-60K words in length. Unless you are an established category romance author querying on proposal, manuscripts must be complete prior to submission. Query by June 1st. Decisions will be made no later than July 1st, and full manuscripts are due by July 15th!